Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Haven't The Foggiest Idea!

Have you ever walked into a room and couldn't remember what you went there for? Or placed an item somewhere you knew that you could easily find it, but can't? Or how about saying something, pause, and forgetting what you were talking about?

Do you know that scary feeling that comes when you question if you are losing your sanity? Not the "insanity is hereditary, I get it from my kids" mommy kind. I'm talking about the "Senior Moment" kind, where you begin to wonder if you really are losing your mind. That lay awake at night "what if" type: what if it's the onset of Alzheimer's? What if it's a brain tumor, or what if it's  something just as awful? 

We all have forgot birthdays or other events, or forgotten items when we've gone to the store specifically to get them. People with chronic illnesses deal with this quite often. Memory problems can be caused by the side effects of medications, the pain, sleep disturbances, or the medical condition itself. For people with fibromyalgia, memory lapses happen more frequently and can be more severe. That cognitive problem is know as "fibro fog" or "brain fog".

What is Fibro Fog?

For people with fibromyalgia  "the chronic pain disorder triggers a sudden forgetfulness known as “fibro fog" or “brain fog.” It changes cognitive functioning and leads to memory loss or other thought-processing problems", says Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D., fibromyalgia expert and author of From Fatigued to Fantastic! (Avery Trade). 

He goes on to state that these cognitive problems may make fibromyalgia patients fear they’re developing Alzheimer’s disease, but the two aren't related. Dr. Teitelbaum explains that; “Fibro brain fog" can make you lose your keys, while Alzheimer’s makes you forget how to use a key."
Source: How to Stop Cognitive Problems for People with Fibromyalgia By Linda Melone, CSCS, Special to Lifescript, Reviewed By Edward C. Geehr, M.D.Published December 14, 2012  www.lifescript.com/health/centers/fibromyalgia/articles/6_ways_to_beat_fibro_fog

Fibro patients often start the day exhausted. They struggle to fall and stay asleep and often suffer from a variety of sleep disorders. (i.e. Sleep Apnea, Restless Leg Syndrome) Daily fatigue triggers cognitive problems, says Roland Staud, M.D., professor of medicine at the University of Florida’s rheumatology department. So the more sleep-deprived you are, the more symptoms of fibro fog you’ll suffer.

When my pain worsens, or my fibro kicks in, what a relief to now know this, and have a legit excuse for the crazy things I say and do.  For example, once my son found the Windex bottle in the refrigerator and asked me why I had put it there. I wasn't quick witted enough to come up with a plausible excuse like "it makes it clean better." Instead I said: "Where's the milk?" You see I had them both in my hands to put away, and in my own defense let me make it clear that the refrigerator sits next to the cabinet that holds the cleaning supplies. (And yes, thankfully I had put the milk in the refrigerator.)

I also am known to "talk backwards" as my children have called it. You see, the thought process seems to be normal in my head, but I jumble them up when I speak. Like telling a child to "comb their teeth and brush their hair." They are laughing hysterically at me and I haven't the foggiest (pardon the pun)  idea why. Then there are also the times I speak and even I don't understand what I meant or was thinking. (This we have labeled the "element of surprise.")

It makes my kids crazy that I am in a conversation with them and then randomly change the subject and speak about something that just came to mind, and they haven't a clue what I'm talking about. (And no, I don't intentionally do this to mess with their minds.)

Today we live in a world where our every day multi-tasking modern lives – with computers, TV, texting, tweeting, emails and cell phone calls all going at once – can overstimulate the brain and increase our stress levels. Our brains can only hold one thought at a time, so these constant interruptions disrupt our ability to focus, concentrate and retain information. Which explains why too often I really haven't the foggiest idea!

Wishing you many happy thoughts and the ability to retain them, and patience with those of us who can't!

God Bless! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Paula, I can so relate to this brain fog stuff. MS people get it also in varying degrees. Sometimes it is scary, but what I started doing when I just could not think of the word is to just start describing it and within fifteen seconds or so I got the word. My husband also having MS and my mom being 89 (no Alz /Dem, just old) both get brain fog so I got them doing the same thing, just start talking about the thing you can't get the right word for and VOILA! the right word just appears sooner than later. It's very silly but it works! Thanks Paula for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty I love the idea of the "brain fog" version of words with friends! :) I plan to test your theory. I'm lucky enough to have a BBF who also has fibro and we are getting pretty good at mind reading each others thoughts! lol My kids are great about too, but not as patient and tolerant. Be blessed! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!