Translate

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Road Runner or Coyote?

Growing up, one of the Saturday morning cartoons I watched was the Looney Tunes' Road Runner show. Road Runner was always running down the road while being chased by Wile E. Coyote. We never heard a complaint out of  the Road Runner. Probably due to the self-confidence that came in knowing he could out run his predator, regardless of what road he was on. He never spoke other than "Beep Beep", which to me denoted his happiness. He was a winner, and victory was always his! "Beep Beep".

For many years I could relate to the Road Runner. I was on the road to my future and happiness was the goal. Engaged, "Beep Beep". Married, "Beep Beep". New home, "Beep Beep". Children, "Beep Beep". New job, "Beep Beep". During the next 18 years there were some bumps in the road of life, but that was to be expected and they were not long-term, "Beep Beep".

Then in 1995, everything changed. My identity took on a persona more like that of Wile E. Coyote. In my pursuit of the elusive blue bird of happiness (Road Runner) I was now on the wrong side of luck. (picture the Coyote holding up his help sign).

"The test results showed some irregularities" (anvil drops), SPLAT! "It appears to be cancer" (safe drops), SPLAT! "We need to schedule surgery as soon as possible" (piano drops), SPLAT! "Your husband has filed for divorce" (dynamite blast), SPLAT! Suddenly the bottom fell out of my world. Just like Wile E. Coyote, I found myself in a free fall. Totally helpless to stop the pull of gravity and awaiting my impending doom (long pause). There was nothing that I could do other than to close my eyes and wait for the final SPLAT!

In my despair, I cried out to God. "Why me Lord? What have I done to deserve this? What do I do now?"
Through the tears, and in spite of the anger and hurt I knew there where still options.  I could:   a) Become the Road Runner or b) remain the Coyote.

As Road Runner I could:
  • Stay on the road and set my eyes on the goal.
  • Carry out the duty of outsmarting the hungry scavenger.
  • Have courage and confidence in knowing that I can out run the problems which try to devour me.
  • No dialogue of complaint, but the "Beep Beep" of happiness and praise.
  • Pause to see and enjoy the beauty around me.
  • Trust my creator, knowing I am safe in His hands.
"Choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord". ~ Joshua  24: 15
As Wile E. Coyote I could:
  • Continue to chase the Road Runner knowing it's a hopeless pursuit and driven only by my hunger.
  • No dialogue except yowling in pain.
  • Hear only the "Beep Beep" of fear.
  • Be my own worst enemy; remember no outside force harmed the Coyote except his own ineptitude, and the  misuse and failure of the ACME products.
  • Keep using the useless ACME products simply because (holds up sign) "I have a good line of credit".
  • Realize that the coyote is always more humiliated than harmed by his failures, but that in real life this isn't always true. I can be harmed.
  • Stop any time; unless I am a fanatic."A fanatic is one who redoubles his efforts when he has forgotten his aim" ~ George Santayana
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits-who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the Pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good." ~ Psalm 103: 2-5

Road Runner Theme Song lyrics:
If you're on the highway and Road Runner goes beep beep. 
Just step aside or you might end up in a heap. 
Road Runner, Road Runner runs on the road all day. 
Even the coyote can't make him change his ways. 

Road Runner, the coyote's after you. 
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through. 
Road Runner, the coyote's after you. 
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through. 

That coyote is really a crazy clown, 
When will he learn he can never mow him down? 
Poor little Road Runner never bothers anyone, 
Just runnin' down the road's his idea of having fun.
source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/roadrunnerlyrics.html
Food for thought: When life drops a heavy load on you (safe falls) SPLAT! Will you choose to be a Road Runner or a Coyote?
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me". ~ Psalm 30:2
I choose to be a Road Runner. I choose the healing. It may not be a complete physical healing, but God can and has brought spiritual and mental healing to me. He gives me the will to press on. "Whoa, Be Gone! " Beep Beep! Look out world here I come! Full speed ahead. "Going, Going, Gone!"
Wishing you a "Fast and Furry-ous" journey and reminding you to "Stop! Look! And Hasten!" in pursuit of God and the road to everlasting life 

Note: Blue items are actual Cartoon titles.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wile_E._Coyote_and_Road_Runner

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!