Translate

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Call Me A Cab - I'm Going Crazy

My Dad had a favorite story of me he loved to share.  I guess I must have been about six years old. The house I grew up in had a landing off the back entry door with two steps up to the kitchen. Dad would come in from work, sit on the top stair and take his shoes off there. 

On this particular day I walked by and noticed he was sitting there putting his shoes on. "Where are you going daddy?" I asked. His straight faced reply was "I'm going crazy." (now you know where I get my sarcastic humor)  I asked "Can I go with you?" With his steady grin he replied in the affirmative (he was a military man)  at which point in childlike innocence I ran through the housing yelling "Everyone get your shoes on. Daddy's going crazy and he said we could come." None of us even remember where he really was headed that day, but we all put our shoes on and went with him!

Life comes with it's own set of insanities, and like the proverbial "last straw that broke the camel's back", some days it seems that the little things may just push us right over the edge. That's the time when you want to run (or in my case hobble) through the streets yelling "call me a cab, I'm going crazy" and see who wants to go with you.

I'm fortunate to have a best friend and neighbor that would be the first to volunteer to go to crazy-town with me.  She'd come barreling down the road (we live four houses apart)  honking the horn, frantically waving her arms while yelling "Get in the car. What's wrong with you? Have you gone crazy? Why didn't you call me?"  

You see, not only does she deal with similar medical issues, but we share the same inane sense of humor. When we are together anything can and does set us off in a fit of giggles. Our children joke that their two crazy moms should never venture out together without a chaperon. Actually, they are quite adamant about this now.  All because one Saturday we headed to Port Huron, Michigan for lunch and ended up in customs in Canada. 

Having a team of agents surround the car wearing their SWAT gear and toting high powered assault rifles was an eye opening experience for me. Now when she invites me to lunch I take my passport.

Come to think of it the Canadians probably did think we were insane. When asked what we were coming into Canada for she answered honestly that she didn't want to go into Canadian, she just wanted to turn around.

The look on his face was priceless when she stated that probably happened a lot. In a serious all business manner he replied "Not really, the flashing red lights on the sign that says last exit before Canada usually gives them a hint."

Bending down he looked into the car to get a better look at her passenger (just little ole' innocent me). Shaking his head he said" two redheads, that explains everything." As we were driving back into Michigan Barb asked me "what do you think he meant by that?"

I didn't have an answer for her.  No really I didn't have an answer. I couldn't find words for a suitable reply because I was laughing so hard I was gasping for breath!

Hmm, I wonder if the "two crazy redheads from the states" story is written down in their book of "strange but true" examples of things that have happened to them, because it's definitely in ours! 

Remember to seek out the comical moments that produce the laughter, and laugh until your tummy hurts!  

Blessing! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!