Translate

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lo$ing It

Do you know what the hardest part of living with a disability for me is? 
It's losing it! With the "IT" being money. For me personally it means trying to maintain my home and support myself and my family on a third of the income I made when I was able to work.

Based on the people I know, the average Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)  appears to be a meager sum of $12,500. a year. (Equal to my income in 1977 when I 20, single and still living with my parents) That income sum is much the same for many of the elderly who are on Social Security.

Were you aware that in order to receive your disability benefits here in the United States you have to be unable to work for a full year. (usually without a source of income) Since this is not something we plan to happen to us, there is not an abundance of money stockpiled to carry us through.

Then comes the "Snowball Effect Syndrome". The symptoms begin when expenses and bills roll into one ball and start rolling down the hill at full throttle speed. As it gains momentum it continues to multiple in size until it is overwhelming. Next comes the side effects, stress, anxiety and often depression.

The Social Security Disability process takes about three years and your first application is normally denied. You'll need an attorney who specializes in Social Security Disability to submit the necessary documentation for you. The attorney is paid by Social Security when your case is complete. The maximum fee the Attorney could charge was $6,000. in 2010  

When you receive your back payment it is for the last two of the three years, but the prorated method doesn't equal the full two years income. Attorney fees are also deducted from it before you are paid. By the time the over due bills are paid up, there isn't a surplus left to help you to rebuild your lost Savings, Bank Accounts and the IRA's that were cashed in to support your family while you waited.

According to the 2010 US Census that was published in 2011 9.5 percent (8.8 million people) of households aged 18 to 64 reported having a disability. The median income of these households was $25,550 in 2010, compared to a median income of $56,736. for a household  that did not report a disability. Real median income declined for both types of households between 2009 and 2010. The income of households maintained by a householder with a disability declined by 8.5 percent, compared with a 2.1 percent decline for households maintain by a householder without a disability. 

The number of people in poverty in 2010 (46.2 million) is the largest number in the 52 years for which poverty estimates have been published. 


Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p60-239.pdf

Ironically, I did not see income figures based on a female head of household with a disability. Although it was noted that females did make less and therefore received less in Social Security Disability benefits. For elderly females on Social Security the income levels would also be low based on many who didn't work or worked for lesser incomes than men. Then they could chose to  received their Social Security benefits or half of their husband, based on whichever was the larger amount of the two. For those that remarried, they could only draw half of their new husbands benefits, even if it was lesser than what they drew based on a former deceased husband.  

I started working in high school as a co-op student making $1.75 an hour. I've worked most of my life, except for about 5 years that I was a stay-at-home mom. Even then I worked as a Welcome Wagon Hostess, and a Realtor. Next came Interior Design and Furniture Sales and then I worked as a Mortgage Originator (but not all at the same time) because these were all jobs I could work around my family's schedule. This was very necessary, especially after a divorce when I instantly became a single mom of two. I could not have survived this without the help and support of my parents. They were retired and would help me by getting the children from the bus stop and watching them until I got home from work.

It infuriates me to think of all the years I've worked and paid into Social Security and then when it is desperately needed by me, I reap so little in return. ( it's my money and I want it now!) I  get angry just thinking about all that I've lost because of chronic illness and my disabilities. Then I remember to dwell on the positives of my life. Knowing God can turn those negatives into positives  if we'll ask him for His help.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~ Romans 8:28 (NLT)

"And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." ~ Philippians 4:19 (NLT) 

God has supplied my every need and often in such creative ways. Like receiving a refund check in the mail for the exact amount I needed to pay a bill. Or the time we returned all the empty pop cans and had enough to cover our grocery bill. (God IS in the details!)

"Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." ~ Psalms 24:14 (NLT)

I still haven't mastered the patient part, nor am I always brave and courageous. But I have learned to wait on the Lord, for His timing is always perfect.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." ~ Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)

When I have panicked and rushed into doing something, (anything) trying to fix it all immediately on my own, it hasn't worked as well as I had thought it would. But instead, if I took the time to pray, read the Bible and seek God through his word, and then apply the "let go and let God" theory, he had the perfect solution. Often it was as simple as meeting someone who had information for resources that I needed and didn't know how to go about applying for. Or connecting me with a support group that nurtured me, encouraged me and guided me through the hurt and into the healing of them.

My life may not be perfect, or easy, but God has carried me through the difficult times and has comforted me when I felt so helpless and afraid. I try to seek out those who are dealing with similar issues and "pay it forward" by helping and encouraging them. For when we focus on others and their problems, ours don't seem so bad.

Wishing you joy for the journey, comfort in your distress and hope for the future!

Blessings! :)








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Paula! It brought a lot of things into perspective. The process of filing for SSDI benefits is definitely an uphill battle, but it's not hopeless. My first filing was denied, but I was advised to find a lawyer who specializes in helping individuals with their claims. While it's still a difficult process, I was quite grateful for his presence because I know someone is looking out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erminia, thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this post. I too was very grateful for the wonderful Attorney I had to help me with the process and walked me through it so effortlessly. (Less stressful for me!) I've learned a lot during this whole ordeal and felt lead to share my personal experiences with others to help, comfort, encourage and remind them that there is always hope!

      Blessing! :)
      Paula

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!