Translate

Friday, January 18, 2013

Becoming Invisible


Definition of INVISIBLE. 1. a: incapable by nature of being seen . b: inaccessible to view : hidden.  2: imperceptible, inconspicuous. 
Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invisible

Remember the cell phone provider's commercial where a man on his cell phone walks around asking "Can you hear me now"?  For many of us the real life questions is: Can you SEE me now?

I can't pinpoint the exact day, date or time, but one day it just happened to me; I became invisible.
Not the cute 'Casper the friendly ghost' kind of invisible. (Although it might be really cool to be able to fly, walk through walls, and to see and hear people without being seen.) But the 'ugly' statistical  1 of about 10% of Americans who have a medical condition which is considered an invisible disability.

Nearly 1 in 2 Americans (133 million) have a chronic medical condition of one kind or another. 96% of people with chronic medical conditions live with an illness that is invisible. These people do not use a cane or any assistive device and they may look and act perfectly healthy.


Invisible Disabilities are disabilities that are not immediately apparent. Some people with visual or auditory impairments who do not wear glasses or hearing aids may not be obviously impaired. (Some may wear contacts or have a cochlear implant instead.) A sitting disability is another category of invisible impairments. Sitting problems are usually caused by chronic back pain. Those with joint problems or chronic pain may not use mobility aids on good days, or at all. Other examples include Asperger syndrome, attention disorders (ADD/ADHD), brain injuries, chronic pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, chemical sensitivities, fibromyalgia, epilepsy, and repetitive stress injuries.


Invisible disabilities can also include chronic illnesses such as renal failure, diabetes, and sleep disorders if those diseases significantly impair the normal activities of daily living.

Source: http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/Invisible+disability 

For many years I have lived with chronic pain. Migraine headaches, back, knee and hip pain and because of those old injuries osteoarthritis. Next came the asthma, heart problems (pacemaker), sleep disturbances (sleep apnea), chronic fatigue and then lucky me, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 

People who know me, or see me, often comment on how healthy I look. Many of them have no concept of how difficult most days are for me. Pain keeps me up tossing and turning all night. (Take note that's often the best time to call me or find me on Facebook) Lack of good restful sleep often means sleeping in later or napping throughout the day. Some days I can't physically get out of bed. Not because I'm lazy or depressed, but just because I simply can't.

Many acquaintances have stopped inviting me to do things with them because they consider me to be 'unreliable' because I can't make concrete plans in advance. Sorry, but I'm at the mercy of my health conditions who dictate the course of my day. Often I am 'held hostage' in my own home by pain who is a relentless jailer. The isolation leaves me feeling not just forgotten, but also invisible. (Pity Party table for 1)

When my world is falling apart physically, financially, spiritually, figuratively or literally, I know that God is a reliable refuge, and a source of strength. He can always be trusted!

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble." ~Psalms 46:1 (NLT)

Because of this I've learned many valuable lessons:
  • My illness may limit me, but it doesn't define me. Instead it forces me to find strength in my weakness.
  • Feeling weak doesn't make me a weak person. Instead it's made me more aware of other strengths.
  • I'm not being 'selfish' when I put my own needs first. I've just learned to give myself 'permission' to take care of myself.
  • My medical condition may have imposed limits on my activities, but my mind and my faith have no boundaries.
  • Just because I can't always be available when others want me to doesn't make me a bad friend. It just means I know my limitations and I've learned to establish boundaries.
  • I've learned to be more understanding and compassionate to others, because we are all dealing with our own problems in life. Acknowledging that I don't know what those things are and how they are affecting that other person has taught me to show more kindness and to be less critical.
  • When I don't know what I can 'do' to help others, I've learned that the most powerful action I can take is to pray for them. There is power in prayer and God does hear and answer our prayers.
  • When my life doesn't go as I had planned I can become bitter or become better. The choice is mine, so I chose to make the best of it.
  • My mother used to say, "sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying." I choose to laugh, for after all laughter is often the best medicine!
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I want my life to make some difference in  this life. So I encourage you to join me in my journey to becoming the best me I can be!
 Blessing!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!