Translate

Friday, February 15, 2013

My Funny Valentine!



In January I wrote "I Haven't The Foggiest Idea" about "Fibro Fog" or "Brain Fog" as it is often called. My friend Patty who has MS posted the following comment: 

"I can so relate to this brain fog stuff. People with MS get it also, in varying degrees. Sometimes it is scary. What I started doing when I just could not think of the word was to start describing it and within 15 seconds or so I would remember the word. My husband, who also has MS, and my 89 year old mom both get brain fog so I've got them doing the same thing. If you just start talking about (describing) the thing that you cannot get the right word for, VOILA! the right word just appears (sooner than later). It's very silly, but it works!"

We joked that it was like the  game"Words With Friends" Brain Fog edition.  Since then  I have tried Patty's memory trick and found it to be quite successful for me most of the time. So I thought of my friend Patty when I saw a Valentine's Day card that read: 

"Me forget to send you a valentine? Ridiculous!! 
elephant-matriarch

Why I have a memory like a....like a.....
You know....like one of those big gray animals with the long funny nose!"

So now are you wondering if it is true that elephants never forget? Since inquiring minds want to know, I Googled it. The answer is...YES.
"When it comes to smarts, elephants are right up there with dolphins, apes and humans, says WCS cognitive scientist Diana Reiss and colleagues at Emory University in Atlanta. They reported in 2006 in the proceeding of the Natural Academy of Sciences USA that elephants, like the other mammals in that exclusive circle, are the only animals known to recognize their reflections in a mirror."
Remarkable recall power, researchers believe, is a big part of how elephants survive. Matriarch (female head of the herd) elephants, in particular, hold a store of social knowledge that their families can scarcely do without, according to research conducted on elephants at Amboseli Nation Park in Kenya.
Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=elephants-never-forget&page=2

So the next time someone says that you have a memory like an elephant, take it as a compliment!
Wishing you a memory like an elephant, and many pleasant memories to reflect on!

Blessings! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!