Translate

Monday, February 25, 2013

My Dog Gone Adventure

Grand-parenting isn't for sissies! When you have been entrusted with an overly active two year old for a weekend, he should come with the warning: THIS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Especially when you are a "grandparent" to your child's "Fur Baby" a German Shepard-Husky mix dog named Jax. (A.K.A. Houdini)

Those of you who know my daughter Katie and her friend Chris and have had the opportunity to meet or hear about the infamous Jax, you're acquainted with his rambunctious, curious nature that tends to get him into trouble. And just like human grandchildren, he tends to pull stuff with "Grama" that wouldn't be consider with his mommy in the house.  

Let me bring you up to date on a few of his past week's mischief:
  • Ate a red velvet cake and greeted me at the door with the empty pan in his mouth and a happy "I cleaned my plate do I get a treat?" look on his face.
  • Got into the Valentine's Day gift bags and ate a small box of chocolate candy, (box and all) a bag of yogurt covered pretzels, licked the bag of Gummy Bears (no chocolate so he didn't  bother opening it) and was working on getting into a package of Oreo cookies. (yes, he's a chocoholic)
  • Devoured a plate of homemade chicken empanadas faster than you can say were's the sour cream.
  • Stole a custard paczki. (pounchki) but was caught red handed (or should I saw red pawed) before he ate it.
  • Hid a stash of pop-tarts (chocolate fudge) under the ottoman and behind the couch cushions. (yes, he can open the cupboard, and yes, we have put dog proof locks on them)
  • Leapt our fence from a seated position to chase a squirrel in the neighbor's yard. 
Jax has terrible separation anxiety from his mommy and even knowing this, we were still caught off guard last weekend. When his mommy left, the entry door didn't close all the way. Hearing the garage door going down he used his nose to open the entry door wider, jumped on the screened door hard enough to pop it open and darted under the garage door just before it closed. 

By the time I put the door back up he was at the end of our driveway, in the road running full spend ahead chasing after their car. They didn't see him or me waving and yelling for that dog gone dog to come back here. 

Let the bad dogie games begin. I chased him, limping as fast as my bad knees allowed. He would stop and wait for me to catch up and just as soon as I reached him, he'd dart off again. I called Katie's cell and gave them the 411 and our GPS (Grama Pooch Situation) location as I continued to give chase. 

That naughty boy went 4 houses down, then ran in between my friends houses. I'm  sure it was just to embarrass me in front of my friends. Or maybe it was to ensure he had a bigger audience. He leisurely strolled along their backyard property lines while waiting for me to catch up. 

Right when I finally got close to him he noticed a section of privacy fence on the ground and darted into the yard. The house faces the next street and I do not know the owners. So here I am in the wet rain, tiptoeing over the downed fence section, fearful of falling or breaking through the wood. Then, of course the inedible happens...I slipped. I grabbed for the fence post while praying that it was more secure than the fence section was, and twisted my left leg and knee. 

Jax looked at me with those sad puppy dog eyes and waited for me to limp over to him. I made the mistake of thinking he was taking pity on this Grama who was wheezing and in need of her asthma inhaler. As soon as my fingers were secure in his collar he jerked sideways taking me with him. Thank God I didn't fall completely to the ground. Instead I twisted and landed on the side of my right foot and felt intense pain.

Just then the Calvary arrived. They spotted us  coming down the side of the houses, retrieved him from me and headed back home. Jax was in "time out" on the ottoman and attached to a leash when I arrived. 

Jax slept the afternoon away while I iced and elevated my throbbing foot and knee. By Sunday morning I couldn't tolerate the pain any longer and drove myself to the Hospital ER.

The good news is that Jax is none the worst for wear. The bad news is that Grama is! A stress fracture to my right foot and a torn ligament in my left knee. I can't use crutches so I have a lopsided limp. (Weebles wrobble, but they don't fall down!)

Just let me go on record as saying that Jax and Grama did not have an excellent adventure!

Wishing your a safe journey through life!

Blessings! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, share your thoughts, or leave a prayer request. Visit, share, be encouraged and be blessed!